Friday, June 24, 2011
Thursday, June 16, 2011
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
CALL FOR PAPERS
Society for Analytical Feminism: Feminist Philosophy in the Analytic Tradition
SAF Session at the Central Division APA
Palmer House Hilton, Chicago, Illinois
February 15-18, 2012
The Society for Analytical Feminism invites submissions for a session at the 2012 Central Division APA meetings.
The Society seeks papers that examine feminist issues by methods broadly construed as analytic, or discuss the use of analytic philosophical methods as applied to feminist issues. Reading time should be about 20 minutes. Authors should submit either (1) a paper, or (2) an extended abstract, as detailed as possible (up to 1000 words) accompanied by a bibliography. Please delete all self-identifying references from your submission to ensure anonymity. Send submissions as a word attachment to Robin Dillon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
*** Deadline for submissions: August 1, 2011. ***
Graduate students or underfunded professionals whose papers are accepted will be eligible for the Society’s $250 Travel Stipend. Please indicate on a separate page (or in your covering letter) if you fall into one of these categories.
The Society for Analytical Feminism provides a forum where issues concerning analytical feminism may be openly discussed and examined. Its purpose is to promote the study of issues in feminism by methods broadly construed as analytic, to examine the use of analytic methods as applied to feminist issues, and to provide a means by which those interested in Analytical Feminism may meet and exchange ideas. The Society meets yearly at the Central Division meetings of the APA and frequently organizes sessions for the Eastern Division and Pacific Divisions. Information can be found on our website.
Membership in the Society is open to all who are interested in and concerned with issues in Analytical Feminism. Annual dues are $25 for regularly employed members, $15 for students, unemployed, underemployed, and retired members. To join, send your check for the appropriate amount payable to the Society for Analytical Feminism to Robin Dillon at the address below.
Robin S. Dillon
Department of Philosophy
15 University Drive
Bethlehem, PA 18015
Friday, June 10, 2011
- "Know that in some collaborations, you will wind up jumping into bed with people you won't want to build a relationship with."
- "Figure out what people expect out of a collaborative relationship. Some are even genuinely concerned about the issues, so try to figure that out."
- "Always tell people the deadline is earlier than it really is," with a stock photo of a war game.
- Slide title: "Surprising Sights," with clipart images of a fat lady and a bearded lady.
- military jokes and drinking jokes and drinking-in-the-military jokes (and no other jokes).
- Slide title: "Different goals and agendas," with clipart image of someone being stabbed in the back with a knife.
- "Before you jump in bed with a collaborator, find out how much they'll want from you."
Wednesday, June 01, 2011
- via Feminist Philosophers, a Canadian mother who hasn't revealed the gender of her infant receives media attention, much of it negative.
- the National Association for the Education of Young Children released guidelines advocating incorporating electronic technology (computers, etc.) into all early childhood educational settings (including preschools and outdoor summer camps).