Sunday, April 17, 2011

Thoughts on a long hiatus

Can it have been over a month since I last posted? Other bloggers sometimes announce a hiatus. I just seem to take them from time to time with no prior warning or intention. I fall into the habit of blogging and then...I just fall out of it. Strangely, I can't discover a correlation with whether or not I'm otherwise busy...or whether I've been working on research. It's certainly not for lack of material, the supply of which is constant. The blog archive likewise shows no particular pattern--except that when there are posts, there tend to be more posts soon.

I think habits frequently have this contingent nature, including habits of reading and writing. If one is a runner, you can't imagine not running...until you stop...and then can't imagine starting again...until you do. Both conditions have some inherent stability.


No comments: